Thursday, January 26, 2017

My Video Field Set Up

Now that I have moved from away from the Canon 5D Mark 3 to the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC) for the movie, I thought I would update you all with my current field shooting gear setup. Here it is:

My BMPCC camera with microphone, follow focus, viewfinder and mono-pod
I might be changing out my mic (to the Rode stereo I own), might add a cheapo Matte Box ( to stop flare) but other than those 2 possible changes this is going to be my main field shooting setup in Asia. I will take this into the dump to work on a pretty much daily basis.

- BMPCC body.
- Zacuto viewfinder.
- Rode mini mic with grey dead cat (yes they call them "dead cats").
- EF Canon 24-105 F4 Lens with image stabilization.
- Sirui mono-pod.
- External battery.
- Quick release with rig rails and follow focus.

Update* Just tried a variation on this field setup. I removed the follow focus and rail gear. Then attached the camera directly to the montopod with a quick release. I might go this way. The follow focus is nice but not entirely necessary, without it I will be lighter and also can use the standard lens hood (no need for the big ass and frightening looking Matte Box). It would also be a bit easier to go handheld on the fly. I need to work with the gear both ways to see what feels best to me.