Monday, January 2, 2017

8x10 Camera In The Dump?

Had my wild and wacky photo thought of the day just a few minutes ago. If I do an extended 6 month trip to Asia what about taking my 8x10 Masterview/Deardorff with me? I could shoot 8x10 in the field in available light for the first time ever in Thailand. I could make portraits in the dump with it, moving from 4x5 in 2013, to 5x7 in 2016, to 8x10 in 2017!!!

Gosh the weight of it!! Can I do something so wild at 53 years old? If I can make my first documentary film at 53 why not my first foray into 8x10 photography (non studio) overseas! I have something like $2000-4000 (?) of 8x10 Tri-x in my freezers getting old, why not use it! If I get a 6 month trip it might be my last great opportunity to do this. I would lean towards using dads gift camera, the 8x10 Deardorff. Making photos with dads present seems more right. Later a show of beautiful photographs at a beautiful large gallery, courtesy of dad!