Thursday, November 2, 2017

White People Bring Problems

When I am in Asia I almost never have trouble with the locals, it is always the foreigner person that makes problems for me. Whether it is the sex tourist, sex pat types when I was doing the sex worker portraits, or now it might be someone like Fred or an NGO (non government organization) type. It is almost always the white folk that stirs the pot, creates issues. Tonight I was with maybe 100 Burmese people and a couple dozen Thais and there were no issues. Everyone was so friendly, laughing and joking, calling out to me, saying "Hello!" One lady asked me in Thai if I came alone? Many others smiled and waved. Several of the men who had been drinking came up to me and talked for long time. I had no idea what they were talking about.

Not sure why the white folk are always causing problems for me? Am I on their turf? Interfering with there mojo? Or are they just naturally more suspicious and negative? Not sure what the deal is, but when I am in some far off place, doing my photo thing, or just hanging out and a white stranger (probably the only other white person around) comes to me, my first thought is 'UH OH!! What does this guy want?" More often then not there is some kind of problem.