Friday, November 10, 2017

Video: Eating Again, Offered Coffee And A Morning Sweet

Today early around 620am when I first went to swamp shack area of the dump, most of the people were not there. I did see one man who came out of his shack, we said hello to each other and waied. I then went to his home and made a few digital photos. The light was quite low, the digital Canon 5D Mark 3 allows me to shoot in low light, so that was my camera of choice. Fun camera to shoot, very different than film work.

So I was making those few pictures when the man invited me into his very small home for some coffee and a morning sweet cake of some kind (sealed in plastic). I believe the sweet cake was called "BLAU-MOE" and the coffee drink was (LAU-PEE-YEH). His wife was there, they were probably in their early to mid 40s, hard to tell, no children. He was sitting at a raised bed area and had taken his flip flop offs before entering the shack, as had his wife. I motioned to my feet and said "BOH-PUH-NUH" (rubber boots (boots) in Burmese). He motioned for me to come in, and not worry about the boots. I told him again, he motioned me again to come in, with the boots on. I decided thou it was better to take off my boots before entering his little home, and did so (difficult to do but certainly respectful and proper). They then served me the coffee and sweet cake, which was very good and I ate it down while making a few pictures and the video linked below.

I have always had the policy of never refusing food from people I photograph. If you refuse it would be an insult to them, and that is the last thing I want to do. They are being gracious and polite, it is very important I do the same in reply. Also if they poor or very poor like the couple today it would very wrong to say no. I smiled, took off my boots, went in, ate the food, drank the coffee and thanked them 2 times. Later on I returned with a set of boots for them. I will take them a bag of food tomorrow morning. The first I have delivered in quite a while. I am sure they can use the free food, donated by the good folks back home in Canada and the USA.

The couple today were wonderful people, so kind of them to allow me into their home and offer me food. I think today was the 4th or 5th time I have eaten in the dump. This is the first little meal this trip. Never been sick as a result yet, feel good today also, several hours later.

Note* Many people I do not know or remember at the dump now call me by name. Others teach me Burmese words like the man today did (coffee, sweet cake). Others ask me for boots, or headlamps, and now some are asking me for over the counter medical creams for rashes as a result of insect bites etc. I have far more friends and acquatiances than strangers in the dump, pretty much everyone has accepted me. There is one young girl who is frightened by me and turns away, but that is about it. Maybe a couple shy people, but no hostility at all. One of my old friends from days past, ran up to me today (man of about 55) smiling from ear to ear and shook my hand. He had the betal leaf stained teeth that many older Burmese people have. His large grin showed the stains off to best effect.
The Betal Leaf Teeth Look

Note** Learning Burmese is a great ice breaker, people laugh at my poor pronunciation and it gives them something they are far superior at (they are the bosses). They can educate the silly foreigner with the expensive.cameras. And of course when you can say anything at all its a great help. Most people (except some children) speak no English, Thai is much more common but still rather rare. So any Burmese I can speak is very very helpful.