Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Amazing Monk, Animal Charity, Will Help

At the “Kasetsart Animal Hospital” I met an incredible man, a monk, his name is Pra Ton. Pra Ton (Pra in Thai means monk) was there with an extremely sick dog named ” Kaow Tod” who had advanced cancer and was blind in one eye. This dog looked very bad, very ill but Pra Ton had spent 30000 baht on his medical care (part donated, part his own-family’s money). I saw some earlier photos of Kaow Tod who looked much worse back then, so the medical  treatments had helped him. Because of the help given the dog had been diagnosed with 8 months to live but Pra Ton was hoping for 1 year more of life.

The truly wonderful part of this story is that Pra Ton runs a animal charity that I think is called “Mee Boon”. The charity is located about 1 1/2 hours drive brome Bangkok. Pra Ton rescues animals of all sorts. At the temple where he lives and worships over 50 dogs live. He also is in charge of 2 nearby buildings where another 200 dogs are cared for, there is neutering-spaying done there as well. To top that off, local cows and pigs have also been rescued from slaughterhouses and are taken care of. The protecting and love for all forms of life, not sure how you can top that kind of commitment. You have to, your forced to respect a man like this. A man who dedicates his life to Buddhism and the protection of all life.

I made a donation of 1000 baht to the monk (Pra Ton)to help with his travel costs. I plan on visiting his charity and donating more money later on for dog food, rice (dogs eat rice also). I will NOT donate any of the money people back home gave for the “Families of the Dump”, but can-will donate the “My Fathers Last Days” artist speaking fee. Dad always was a farmer at heart and loved animals, I am sure he would be OK with his story helping in this way. The 200 plus dogs are only fed once a day because of lack of funds (part donated by Thais, part from Pra Ton’s family). The artist speaking fee will help feed these defenceless sweet animals.

Helping in this cause as well as the dump families seems very right to me. Here I was with this lone monk and his terminally sick dog that he brought to Bangkok to help, there is something very simple and beautiful there. Love for the lives of all living things, very Buddhist,  completely wonderful.

Monk Pra Ton with Kaow Tod his cancer stricken dog.
Poor sick Kaow Tod, getting better with good medical care
         
Note* I have some photos of both Pra Ton and his sick friend Kao Tod but am not sure how to get the files from a SD card through my iPad onto this blog (my laptop is in Mae Sot). Will post them when I am able to.

Update* Maybe I can do a short documentary film on Pra Ton and his charity. This is another story that must be told!

Update ** Was thinking that if after visiting the animal charity run by Pra Ton. I might return with photos and video to Canada with the hope of raising funds to help him. Good work by good people deserves to be aided.