Friday, November 10, 2017

Depressed Teen Sees The Future

There was one young teen boy I photographed today who was polite but very sad and quiet. He kept looking off into the distance with a sullen face when not working. When I said hello to him in Burmese, he mumbled a polite reply, but that was about it. I keep thinking of this young man, probably about 16 years old (always a difficult age, even if your not facing a bleak future). He is not a child anymore, he know doubt feels the weight of what his limited future is, what his limited opportunities in life are. How would it be possible for him to look forward with optimism for the life ahead. That would be simply impossible. Will he get old in the garbage or somewhere just as inhospitable? Doing very difficult work until he dies at a younger age then he should? Will the love of family be enough for him? Married at 17? 18? 2 children at 20 like the groom?

Note* I usually say hello to everyone who I meet at the dump and who approaches me, especially the older people, it is a sign of respect. Now I have added introducing myself I sometimes say "Gh-Noh Naemae Gerry" (My name is Gerry).