Thursday, November 30, 2017

Flirting With Cambodian Migrant Workers!

Languages are fun, languages open doors, languages bring people closer. I know almost no Khmer (Cambodian language) but today I was able to joke (flirt) with some Cambodian women working a construction site (migrant workers), with what I did know, allowing me to make their pictures and have a bit of fun.. I also spoke Thai to the manager of the apartment construction site who without my asking said it was OK TO GO IN AN LOOK AROUND. Without the Thai speaking stuff, doubt I would have been given access.

I went in and photographed for a hour or a bit longer. It was so nice to be able to get away from the tourist trap of nearby Silom road in Bangkok. Silom is tourist central yet about 2 blocks back of that stuff I was able to hang with real people, doing real work. This is the Thailand I love, the real world, not the tourist world.

At one point while photographing a group of 4 Cambodian women laying bricks mid building I decided to joke with them, digging deep into my memory to bring out some Khmer vocabulary. I said "TOD ROOP, SREY SUH-AUT" which translates into TAKE PHOTO, PRETTY LADY. Everyone started giggling, and repeating what I had said among-st themselves, it was quite cute. It was a great joke, they obviously understood me.

The man running the site was named Ang, who asked me to come back when I thanked him at the end before leaving. It was fun also when I thanked the women workers in Khmer, Oh-Khoon-Ja-Run (Thank you) they all laughed and giggled again at my Khmer.

Doubt I photographed anything of substance with my Leica, but a fun morning non the less. It was great to shoot film again!!

Note* There were 12 Cambodian workers on the site, mostly all people under 30. I believe the building had been going on for about 2 years.

Living area for migrant Cambodian workers, Bangkok Thailand
Pretty Cambodian women workers, laying brick, Bangkok