Thursday, November 2, 2017

Young Boy In Dump Darkness Holds My Hand

Something very sweet happened tonight. The young boy we bought boots for several days back held my hand in the dump darkness.

It went something like this. The boy probably 5 or 6 years old came up to me in the darkness while I was filming(trying to film) people and their homes, etc. It was around 730pm but completely dark in the dump. There were a few lights here and there in the shacks. There are now some small power wires running now between the shacks (probably something Fred arranged, an improvement from 2016), which allows the families with old TVs to watch a few shows at night. 

So this young little guy came up to me smiling out of the darkness. He followed me about for quite a while and eventually I decided to play a game with him. I held his hands and lifted him straight up in the air, he smiled, so I lifted him up a second time and he smiled even more. About 30 minutes later he came up to me and put his hands up again, I let him grip his fingers around mine and lifted him yet again, this time he laughed. After that another few minutes past. I was concentrating on trying to get a video shot into one of the homes when the same little boy quietly reached over and held my hand. He held it for several minutes, it was so sweet. The little boy, with his very little soft hand was holding mine in the dump darkness, while dogs howled in the distance.

Being with the families is filled with wonderful little human moments like that.