Thursday, November 2, 2017

My Undercover Attempt Blown

So there I am riding my motorbike across the Thai landscape, through the night air. I have a large tripod hung from just below the bikes steering wheel, beside it is a black plastic bag carrying 2 pairs of boots, size 10, and 11. I have a backpack on with another 4 sets of boots in there. Then as if that is not enough, I am carrying a camera bag, that has one BMPCC (digital video camera), 1 35mm Leica, 1 small Sony digi camera and 2 head lamps, extra batteries, film etc.

I am loaded down pretty well, with all these bags hanging everywhere. My plan is to sneak into the dump area near the school, then drop off the first 2 sets of boots (in the plastic bag) to family I know that lives near the road. It is after dark, so I figure, this might be able to be done. As I approach and slow down, my undercover idea is working, no ones around, I am moving, slowly, quite quietly, it is dark, my identity remains hidden. I can drop off the boots and no one will be the wiser, Fred will not know, if had any little spies here, they will not tell him.

Then the cry goes out! "Gerry!, Gerry!!, Gerry!!!!" My cover is blown! How the hell did they recognize me so fast in the dark? Am I wearing a neon sign? Everyone with hearing distance knows I am there now. The 2 young boys that had been shouting my name, come running up to me. Luckily they were the children of the man I was looking for. The  house I was looking for was theirs. I asked in Thai, "Baun kong khoon yoo tee-nai?" (Where is your house?). The young boys understand quite a bit of Thai so they tell me where to go. I went to their home and gave out 2 pairs of boots and one head lamp to the family. Their parents were away, others thanked me.

Note* A few minutes later I was able to give out the 2nd headlamp, first there was some confusion and desperation from the old lady I gave that headlamp to. Later there were many thank yous.  I am having problems buying headlamps, I could only find 2, on my visit to multiple stores. The 4 boots in the knapsack I carried around all night (fricking heavy), they sit in my room as I type this. I was unable to find the people who I owed those boots to. It is hard to find folks at night, especially when you do not know where they live. I hope this does not cause an issue later on. They might think I broke my promise to them. I wish I could explain my dilemma making free donations and Fred's anger. Maybe I can do that now with the help of "A", maybe she can explain things for me.