Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Bought Me Some Local Treats!

From Facebook:

Been facing some difficulties at the dump so decided to take a few days off from there. The last 2 days I have been meeting migrant work labor people living in a poor community half way between the dump and my apartment in Mae Sot. Am trying to make friends in the community before doing some serious photography. The people there are understandably camera shy, many are illegals in Thailand from Burma, desperate for work and some kind of future.
I was told the police and soldiers sometimes come to arrest and deport them if they cannot pay a bribe (most cannot). Today I bought some treats from their some local stores. In the photo you have homemade potato chips 5 baht (19 cents CAD), fried banana 5 baht and a salted fish of some kind for 20 baht (77 cents CAD). I guess the fish is very salty and you need to eat it with something else but could not understand what that was. Bought it anyway. I have tried versions of this fish before I believe. Maybe it will work good in a sweet sauce of some kind to counter act the salt. I had back to my new friends tomorrow with the 8x10 camera, hope to do some landscapes, home(slum)scapes and portraits in the area.
Also donated 100 baht of the donation money to a disabled child's family who lives in that community.

Update** Tried the fried bananas, they were great!

Local Burmese Food and Treats