Sunday, June 14, 2015

Photographing "Lost Innocence"? Done Beautifully?

After seeing Jock Sturges work on the "Rollei Project" photos I had a bit of a rethink on how the "Lost Innocence" project might look. "Lost Innocence" deals with the subject of young women being damaged or having their lives destroyed by working in the Asian sex industry. I want to concentrate on workers that have local men customers but also might add in some workers that work in the Western sex tourist industry.

What of instead of photographing the head shots harsh with a blad and ring flash, I go the other way and try to photograph my subject beautifully. What if I did beautiful head shot natural light portraits of the workers which would contrast drastically with the terrible worlds they live in. There might be a certain irony in showing their outer innocence, beauty and then having a title like "Nong 20 Brothel Worker, Laos", or Mary 19 Gogo Dancer, Philippines". The contrast of their beauty with their occupations, the lives they have been sold into (or forced into for economic reasons), might be quite startling.

Once again more thought needed on this. All my photo projects are continually changing, evolving in my mind. From day to day these things adapt and move in different directions. I guess that's part of the creative process, something that makes art for the artist so challenging and important.