Friday, June 19, 2015

First Roll In Sputnik

Ran around in the back yard this morning dodging mosquitoes and put my first roll of 120 Tri-x through the Sputnik stereo.

Figuring out how to load and advance the film was a bit of a nightmare. You have to see the numbers on the back of the film through a little read window. I could not see the numbers so counted turns of the camera film advance knob, sort of gave it my best guess (6 1/2 turns to move up 2 frames). Back in the darkroom I was able to see the numbers through the window so next time will look harder.

Composing was a bit weird also, things looked bright and distorted, so I need to get used to that also. Being eaten alive by the pesky bugs did not help the experience, I was bitten 5 or 6 times in a matter of minutes.

Am developing the film now, as I type I turn back ot the sink and agitate ever 30 seconds. If anything turns out I will scan and show you people.

Exposure between 1/30 and 1/60 F 5.6 Tri-x at 200ASA. Development 2/1 D-76, 20C for 11 minutes 30 seconds (pulled back a minute).

Update* Well I got some images on the negs, I took a quick look, they are washing now. The negs looked sharp, pretty damn good for a 1950s Soviet Union tractor factory camera. I did not get the full allotment of shots on my 120 roll. I think I only got 4 sets. If I would have advanced the film properly I should have gotten 5 or 6 sets of 2-6x6 stereographic negs. This looks like it is going to be a fun purchase.

Wonder what the transparencies will look like? Now I can shoot all that outdated 120 Agfachrome I have. Might follow my earlier plan and do slide living condition photos in 3D for future exhibitions. Show where the people live in the dump in 3D color, that sort of thing. A combination of b/w documentary photos and colour 3D, could be an effective tag team.