Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Underexposed!!

Yesterdays Graflex negs were underexposed, no shadow detail at all. After seeing those disappointing negs I grabbed my Graflex (Pong) and went out and shot another 6 sheets. These exposures were also shot at 300 ASA (Tri-x) but at 1/30 and F5.6 which is a lot more light than last time. It was a bit darker outside as I was shooting in early morning light after a fresh rain. Not sure what 1/30 hand held will look like, but we shall see shan't we!

This is fun! "Ain't Photography Grand!" I wish I could just make photos and work in my darkroom everyday. Nothing is better than making pics, such shear joy.

Update: Exposure/Development look fine this time. I even think I got some reasonably sharp pics at 1/30th and F5.6. Imagine that, holding a 4x5 Graflex at 1/30 with 190mm lens and getting some sharpness.

I am also going to dig out my Razzle, Banarama 4x5 camera made by the late Dean Jones. I was afraid to shoot at f5.6 with this camera before but why not, it's working with the Graflex, why not with the smaller and lighter rangefinder Razzle! I will experiment shooting the Razzle in the next few weeks in the same way.