Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Biking With The Graflex

Well tonight I tried something a bit different. I did my usual 22km bike ride to dads grave but this time I carried a back with Graflex Super D with 8 holders on my back. At times it was really tough, very heavy, at others not so bad, maybe the workouts are helping. One advantage to the Graflex wooden holders over normal plastic one is that I believe they are a bit lighter. You notice things, like, how heavy something is, when you lug them on your back!

I shot my film in the treed area of the dads graveyard again, I like it there, it is beautiful and peaceful. As I was pulling up on the bike I saw a young lanky and very energetic coyote lope on past me. Here are todays Graflex shots. All pictures made on Tri-x exposed at 400ASA (a bit faster than before) 1/60 and f8. I developed the in the JOBO at 24C for 8 minutes in D-76 1/1.

I think in the future I want to try more sky, between the tree shots with this camera. The ability to move quickly, focus and shoot is what the Graflex is all about, mobility!! Shooting 10 sheets in a matter of minutes with the Graflex is easy, especially with a Grafmatic back (6 shots in quick succession). It can be sort of a machine gun version of a 4x5 camera. Boy is it exciting to see that large image on that 5x5 (?) internal SLR mirror.

Update* I am at around 435km for the summer on the bike. I was hoping to hit 1000 but that's doubtful, 800 thou is definitely possible.

Update** The new holders preformed well. Some of them look almost brand new, I replaced the tape on 1 holder but that's about it. All ready to use in Asia.

Update*** The old sheet of Tri-x was fogged, no image after development. Oh well it was worth a shot!

Between the trees, dads graveyard, 2015
Artificial flower detail, dads graveyard, 2015
Opening through the trees, dads graveyard, 2015