Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Starting To Love The Graflex

There is a real beauty to using the Graflex Super D. I am still a bit unsure about the 190mm Ektar lens but I love the feel of the camera contros, love the SLR mirror composing/focus for 4x5 photography, love the sweet sound of the focal plane shutter. I also love the idea of using the camera 2 of my all time idols used, Lewis Hine and Paul Strand. Both photographers were able to do great documentary photography work with this tool. Dorothea Lange shot "Migrant Mother" with a Series D Graflex. Good work, even great work can be done with this tool. I am looking forward to using it in the field in Asia.
Back story and the other 4 "Migrant Mother" photos made by Dorothea Lange

One of the series of 5 4X5 negs Lange made using the Graflex Series D leading up to the Migrant Mother image.
Migrant Mother, Florence Owens Thompson 32 by Dorothea Lange 1936