Monday, June 29, 2015

Tiny

Got my older Rolleiflex Tessar 75mm f3.5 today, and boy is it TINY!, tiny. Will run some film through it, the lens hood, cap I bought off Amazon does not fit it, which sucks not sure why (I bought Bay 2 the camera must be Bay 1). I have heard these cameras were great for traveling because of their size but I am still a bit shocked at how physically small they actually are. I have Mamiya C330 cameras which I have used in Asia and they are so large, the Rolleiflex's in comparison look like the runts of the litter. A very well made runt, but a runt none the less as compared to their big Mamiya inbred  freaky cousins.

To bad about the lens cap/ lens hood, I guess I got ahead of myself there, but the advert said it was for 75mm f3.5 Tessar lens, which mine is, there must be 2 versions of that lens design outer mount. Because it is a Amazon purchase I do not think they are returnable, which means I sort of wasted my money there. The meter I got tossed in with this sale uses banned Mercury 1.35v batteries. Gossen makes a adaptor for $44USD that will allow you to use normal current silver oxide batteries, but I am not sure I want to pay the $44. Am not sure how much I will use this meter, it is in great shape, outside of the battery issue. Need to think that over.

Anyway back to the camera. It looks very clean, with nice glass, and seems to function properly. It is very small, and seems very robust and well built. I now understand why Rolleiflex has such a historically great reputation. Looking forward to the other 3 (yes 3!!) Rolleiflex's that are currently being shipped from world wide locations to my home in Edmonton. I will post some photos made with this newest tool, the 75mm f3.5 Tessar lens later on.

Disappointed with my lens cap/lens hood mistake, the meter might also be a non go because of the battery issue. On the other side of the coin, I am quite happy with the Rolleiflex. When I see the sharp negs I will become very happy with this purchase. This camera was the cheapest of the bunch by far, $275 USD. The shipping cost $25.83 USD without any extra fees.

Update: I bought the light meter battery adaptor kit from B&H, it is expensive for such a tiny item. I read lots online about how reliable/durable the Gossen Luna Pro was so I decided since mine was in near new condition to go ahead and get it running. Hopefully it will become a mainstay of my photography kits for the last 20-25 years of shooting I do (hope hope).

My new 75mm f3.5 Rolleiflex