Friday, June 19, 2015

3 Scheduled Workshops This Week Will Pay For My Room

I have 3 scheduled photography workshops to teach this week. A darkroom workshop on Tuesday with Vincent and 2 workshops a darkroom a View Camera on Saturday and a darkroom on Sunday with Katherine from Calgary. Will make a combined $340 for those 3 workshops but still not bad.

All that money will deposited into my Asian photography fund. For $340 I can get a nice clean a/c, fridge, hot shower, cable TV hotel room in Mae Sot Thailand (where I make the "Families of the Dump" photos) for maybe 15-16 nights. So this week of workshops will pay for most if not all my accommodations in Mae Sot. Teaching photography, getting paid, then staying free in the place you need to make photographs, can't beat that!

Of course if I travel to Asia for a longer period there is always a chance I will just get a room in Mae Sot and rent by the month. If that happens who knows $340 might get me a month or 30 nights. I could also use the funds to help pay for a motorbike rental which would give me much freer access to my photography subjects.

Update* Have a new advanced darkroom workshop tentatively scheduled with Stu for the end of July so if that happens it would add $180 into the mix.