Monday, January 8, 2018

Saigon War Remnants Museum

I visited the War Remnants Museum in Saigon over two days, here are my thoughts.

- I had mixed feelings about the museum.

-There was a real brutal truth to the place, a honesty and a fierce display about the reality of the indo China Vietnamese wars.

- I also felt their was propaganda taking place at the museum. An example of that were the displayed statistics. Many of the stats seemed inflated compared to online sources that I studied. Truth? Or Propaganda?

- The Agent Orange section of the museum was extremely powerful and emotionally moving. After spending many hours with the victims I wanted to do an extensive documentary photo project on the people who suffered birth defects myself.

 - The 3rd floor REQUIEM exhibition created by Tim Page, Horst Faas and the photographers who died in the Vietnam War is one of the most important exhibitions I have ever seen. The quality of the actual prints and framing was sub par but the messages they communicated were extremely important, and affected me on a deeply personal level.

- The display of aircraft, helicopters, artillery, tanks and bombs on the ground floor was very interesting The Huey helicopter was physically smaller than I thought it would be.

I would recommend everyone who visits Vietnam visits the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Min City.
http://warremnantsmuseum.com
WIKIPEDIA War Remnants Museum