Sunday, January 21, 2018

How The Donation Money Is Spent

Headlamps, everyone wants headlamps, got to buy me some headlamps. I still have over 1/2 my donation money left. Am not sure I can spend all the money before I leave. I could give more to Fred's dump help organization but already gave him around $1000 in 2016-17 (around $500 each time). I prefer to hand out everything myself as then I am 100% sure the money entrusted to me is used in the right way. I expect to be here in Mae Sot until around Feb 9 then to go get a visa and return for another week or two after that, then that is it.

In March I will probably photograph in Bangkok on the "Sukhumvit at Night" series and might be going to Europe for a short time. I have an opportunity to learn from a great wet plate photographer there (more later). I fly back to Canada in April.

If I run out of time to hand over all the money in goods before I leave I could hand out money to the people  directly but am a bit unsure of that as well. It might be the best plan to leave some in the bank for my next trip possibly in 2019. I do not think I can get my 3 weeks of 2018 holidays from work (security job) after taking a 6 months leave between years 2017 and 2018. I will not be able to return to the dump until 2019.

If I keep the money banked it will eventually go to the people, there are no middle men here. Everything goes back to the families. I cover all my own payments myself, food, rent, travel costs, motorbike rental, gasoline etc etc. The donation money all goes to the people, not anywhere else. Will see how it all works out, how the spending goes. I spent $153 CAD for the headlamps alone yesterday. I will probably do 3 or 4 more buys like that and also more boot buys etc.

The more I think of it the more I like keeping any leftover funds in the bank for next trip. That way I control it, I can make sure it is spent in the proper ways either now in 2018 or later in 2019. Here are the current totals:

DONATION MONEY SPENT FOR THE "FAMILIES OF THE DUMP". MONEY GIVEN OUT


35652 Baht

Total donation money spent so far this trip. Money given out.

"FAMILIES OF THE DUMP" DONATION TOTAL

$3273.43 CAD

This money will be donated to the families in Mae Sot on my next trip to Thailand, October 2017. I hope to raise over $1500 CAD.