Thursday, January 18, 2018

People In The Dump Cheer Me Up!

from a Facebook Post....

Was sort of down when I headed out on my motorbike at 4am to the dump today. I got there in complete darkness and there was no working going on, found some young boys in a shack, having fun, laughing like crazy. One of them yelled out Gerry when he heard my voice, saw me. After that things were great, the people in the dump are so kind, being with them always cheers me up. How can you be selfishly down when people living in garbage can be so happy?
Found out today that a number of people sleep directly on the garbage in little shacks. I had seen the small huts but I thought they were abandoned. Last night I saw movement and heard snoring when I went up the garbage hill to make some dumpscapes. Amazing that in 2017 people still have to live that way. It is even more surprising that after sleeping on garbage they can then wake up with a smile and call me over to talk. The father of the groom did that today, I gave him a hat donated by some work friends. I am surprised how many people I know at the dump now, I guess that's what coming here for 4 years (heading into 5 now) will do. Even got invited to visit one of the garbage truck drivers home today. He wrote down his address for me in my notebook.
The highlight of the day was giving a doll toy to a young boy. I was donated by a kind woman work with, it was a gift from her daughter. It is always a good day when you can make a child smile. One family and child in Canada giving to another family and child in Thailand. Life is good, that's the way it should be, all of us helping each other out.
The photos are of the young boy with his new toy and the father of the groom with his new hat, in his sleeping structure on the garbage. People like Donald Trump sit on toilets made of gold, these people sleep on garbage, that's f-cked up! Lets all work towards positive change, lets all work towards making the world a better more equal place.

Update* I was just sent a Facebook message by the mother of the little girl who donated the toys (from Canada).I guess her daughter is in tears. She saw the photo of the boy Win Win Tun in the dump with her toy and broke down, happy tears. Isn't that beautiful! Life does not get much better than that. Hopefully the child in Canada will keep this memory for a long time. Heck it might even influence her life in a positive way. Sometimes doing little acts of good can have many long term positives.

"Ain't Photography Grand!!" "Ain't Life Grand!!!"

Win WIn Tun with his new toy
Sleeping on Top Of The Garbage