Monday, January 8, 2018

Photo Idea: Agent Orange Portraits

After seeing an “Agent Orange” exhibition at the WAR REMNANTS MUSEUM today I am angry. So many destroyed lives, so much suffering and for what? The most powerful work in the exhibition were social documentary photographs made by the late great photographer and humanitarian Phillip Jones Griffith.

On seeing what I saw today I feel I need to continue that work, continue to tell this story. But how? I have no connections in Vietnam, almost no Language skills, nothing. How can I proceed. Maybe I just need my anger to fuel me and move me forward into the unknown.

I am thinking to shoot this super large with super quality. Getting a high end medium format digital camera and shooting portraits of the victims. I want to show every birth defect in excruciating detail, larger than life and in color. It is important to impart both the humanity of the people as well as their deformities. The photos would then be printed extremely large, as large as is possible. I want to leave the exhibition viewers in tears

No financial compensation has been given to the Vietnamese people that I know of. Maybe the photos will help educate and even push a lawsuit forward to help the sufferers. It is appalling that America and the producers (?) of “Agent Orange” got away with this crime against humanity.

I need to learn more about this very complex issue, will lol try to educate myself in the coming years.

Agent Orange Story On How People Are Still Affected

Note * Showing the bodies not hidden by clothing or only partially hidden might tell the victims story more effectively.