Sunday, January 11, 2015

Tonights Second Print

Here is a darkroom capture of tonight's second white background photo I printed of dad for the coming exhibition. I like the shallow depth of field (even thou I was shooting at around f45) and the intensity of dads gaze in this shot. If this print works out (I think it will) I will have 5 of 7 dad exhibition photos printed. I might be able to fit in 8 in the space as my frames are slightly smaller than Larry's. It probably would be a good idea to print 8 photographs. Even if I do not show all 8 I will have the option to edit 1 photo out.

The photo below is the first version of the print, I made 4 prints and 4 different basic exposures. This one was at 51 seconds at F16 with a filtration of 20 magenta on the 8x10 Durst enlarger. I then went 47 seconds, 43 seconds and 39 sections with the next 3 prints. I also burned down the shoulders a touch in the later versions. Will wash the photos let them dry and see where I stand. I think tomorrow I can move on to a much more difficult to print 35mm negative. That photo will involve lots more testing plus masks etc.

Things are looking good, various parts of the exhibition are coming to completion. I feel happy and relatively satisfied. Am pretty exhausted, a quick bath to wash off the chemical smell and then I am off to bed. I have to print again tomorrow!

First version of 5th dad show print.