Saturday, January 17, 2015

Need That Selfish Good Feeling, Again!!

Check out the video we are going to show at the coming exhibition, at the 5 minute mark you can see a family cooking rice on an open fire.

"Families of the Dump" video for "Living on the Margins"

Everyday on two trips in 2013 when I visited the dump I would take a care package of rice, canned fish, soap and other things. The rice that's boiling in the pot on the fire in the video is rice I gave to the family. Immediately after I gave them the package they started cooking breakfast. It was only a small bag and there were upwards of 8 people in that area, possibly 10 or more including many children. Later on that day or the next the mother asked me for more so the next day I got them a second bag. The mother and I could not speak but she took some uncooked rice in the palm of her hand and pointed at it and said something I did not undestand. She got her message across, while the men were pointing at cans of beer and cafeine drinks, the mom was pointing at rice. Woman are often so much less selfish and concernted about putting the family first. The mother had such a plaintiff and pleading look to her eyes, I still remember it. At times that look sort of haunts me, I cannot forget it.

I only bring this up because to this day I feel good about helpoing the family with the rice. Sort of selfish on my part but knowing you helped feed people is a good feeling, one I want to repeat.That is why with the recent going it alone and making my own artist statement thingy and saving $40 has me thinking in that direction. I want to buy rice with that money, probably many smaller bags that I can try and distribute evenly. I want that selfish feeling again. $40 for rice seem so much smarter than $40 for 2 printed artist statements.

Maybe I can rent a motorbike for 2 or 3 weeks then next time I visit Mae Sot and deliver the rice to people all over that area. Plus of course make photos! Got to do that! Having a motorbike would give me access to wander and explore. I am already paying 200 baht ($6.70 CAD) a day for travel to and from the dump, why not pay a bit more and have a motorbike to myself 24/7. I would also have to pay for gas and damage if I had an accident (that has happened to me before in Thai). Still renting a motorbike for 2 or 3 weeks is probably a good idea, something that I need to look into.