Sunday, January 18, 2015

FREE Canada Shipping From B&H!!

B&H just got better, they already have the cheapest prices online and now they have an new feature on many of their items, free Canadian shipping!! You cannot beat that. I have ordered from B&H several times, they drop off everything right at the door via Purolator. I have it set up so they can scan a bar code on my screen door and just leave the package on my doorstep. Often with my night time work schedule the scan and drop off is the best and easiest option for me. So far I have never had anything stolen. Now to have free shipping on many items, just tops things for me. B&H all the way baby!

Because of the free shipping and cheaper pricing I decided to give Ilfords new cool tone multi grade paper a try. Ilford now has 3 fiber paper, the classic which is good, the warm tone which is my favourite paper and now this cool tone stuff.

I picked up a 50 sheet box of 11x14 Ilford cooltone, along with 1 lb of Potassium Ferricyanide (bleach) and some black mark spotting brushes for $154.94 USD. That price includes Canadian taxes and duty with free shipping all the way to Edmonton from New York. I wanted to get the 16x20 paper box but that was quite a bit more so decided to play it a bit safe and go 11x14 for now. Later on if I like this paper I will get 1 or 2 boxes of 16x20, maybe even a box of 20x24.

I am hoping the Ilford cool tone replaces the classic stuff in my darkroom. I plan to work with only 2 Ilford papers in the future, so I can really learn the product. I am trying to limit my drunken rabbit hopping from product to product and tool to tool thingy.

I hope this paper bleaches well. I am becoming a huge fan of bleaching. I feel it adds clarity and substance to a print, it gives it some sandpaper. A cool tone fb 16x20 print made with a 35mm Tri-x meg, bleached strong, could be very compelling looking. Add in a strong documentary subject with grain and emotion and you have a home run power work of art.

This paper is also available in 42 inch and 56 inch rolls. Pretty cool, I would have to rig up some kind of enlargement wall projection to print that big. Doubt I would ever do it but it is good to have that option.

Large Roll Paper