Saturday, January 10, 2015

Revised Artist Statement For The "Living In The Margins" Exhibition

Joanna Larry's wife suggested I needed to do a bit of proof reading on my artist statement, she was right so I revised it a bit. I also did a bit of work on the poem. Here is the latest version and probably what I will print up. I am making my own artist statement documents, will try printing them at work next week then mounting them to foam core board.

Did a bit of printing today, but not enough. Now I need to go shovel snow outside my home and then visit dad and shovel snow there as well. I need to do more printing on my return, I hope I am not to tired!

----------

"The Mae Sot Project" Artist Statement

"As long as poverty, injustice and gross inequality persist in our world, none of us can truly rest."
                                                                                                                                                   Nelson Mandela

The Mae Sot Project ("Families of the Dump") documentary photography series was made at the Mae Sot, Thailand garbage dump. At the dump approximately 400 people in 50 plus family groups live and work scavenging for recyclable goods. The families are made up of Burmese refugees mostly from the Karen ethnic tribe; who travelled illegally from Burma into Thailand. In Burma these people face political persecution and economic hardship, they came to Thailand hoping for a better life. 

I make my photographs in the dump and elsewhere for one reason, to tell the stories of forgotten people. It is important that their stories are told, with dignity and compassion. My goal is to show the common humanity we all share.

Children Of The Dump
Flies buzzing in the sunshine
      Garbage and long toil
Giggles with quick laughter
     Playing with barking dogs
Broken glass and sweet hugs
    Found food but lost school
Stomach worms and stinking waste
    Rats running with the rice
Yet new hope and new life
    Children of the dump.

Please help the children and families of the dump by donating to: www.eyestoburma.org/

Gerry Yaum