Thursday, January 8, 2015

NAIT Student Fine Art Talk

Turns out a teacher from NAIT college here in the city loves Larry's work and wanted him to do a talk to his 2nd year fine art students. Larry told the teacher about the show, and about my film work and now the students are now coming to the Gallery to hear us both speak. I need to have the pictures installed by the 5th of February which means I will lose 2 days but I think its worth it. I love talking about my photography, this will be the 5th time I have spoken to various type groups (3 student classes and 1 show opening in New Orleans) so its not that nerve racking any more. Actually I am quite excited by the opportunity to tell the stories of the "Families of the Dump". I am looking forward to it and excited, this should be fun!

This time I plan on being more concise and professional in my approach, but also try to get the students to relax and laugh a bit. I think a more human down to earth less snobby approach is always the best. Will only talk for a short time, first some background stuff then a bit on various photos in the show. Maybe 15-20 minutes of talking then some questions, something like that.