Thursday, January 8, 2015

Meal With Larry, Show Update Info

Well had a nice little meal with Larry last night. I saw his new work from Bangladesh and Nepal, in 6 short days he did some amazing work. The best pics were made at a tannery (where they make leather) a brick making area, a slum and men loading stuff near the river (colour work). The guy creates more good photos in 6 days than I do in 60. These were still all viewed on a laptop but the prints are coming.

I got a bunch more info on our joint exhibition "Living On The Margins". The exhibition will be held on Saturday February 7th from 6pm to 9pm. It will not only be the opening our our show but also be the grand opening for Edmonton's part of the "Exposure Photo Festival 2015" The festival people are providing some of the funds for the food. Some leadership people from Calgary along with many arts people from Edmonton will also be at the opening. There is even a promise of a media BLITZ, thou I will not hold my breath waiting for a stampede of media to show up, doubt there will be much blitzing going on. Larry and I are just hoping for some kind of TV coverage of the opening of the festival, that would be more than enough for us.

I will have 14 or 15 pictures in my second floor room of the main gallery for all of my "Family of the Dump" pics. Larry has 19 photos hanging upstairs already, some very big. He has 3 super sized photos not sure of the dimensions maybe 40x30, something like that. I will also have 7 of my dad photos on the main floor (still need to print some). This week I need to make up 2 artist statements that we are going to put on foam core for people to read. I might add some colour photos of me and dad and me at the dump to these statements.

I will be sending out formal invites about 2 weeks in advance. Hopefully the hundred or so opening night paparazzi in the media blitz will not be too much of a nuisance. : ))

"Living on the Margins"

Top photo Larry Louie, bottom photo Gerry Yaum