Monday, March 20, 2017

Bought A Large Format And Ultra Large Format Tripod Heads

Spent some more money. I bought 2 heads, one for my large format 8x10, 11x14 cameras and one for my 14x17, 16x20. Cost for the 2 heads with free shipping was $860 USD.

Luland Brand CNC 3D Panoramic LF Tripod Head TH-100 360d Rotation for 4x5-11x14 Camera

Luland Brand CNC 3D Panoramic ULF Pan Head 150mm for 16x20, 20x24 Camera

These heads are made in China and are reputed to be of very good quality (I hope!). They have a similar design to Ries heads I have seen. Each head can be moved in 2 directions, forward and back and left and right The 8x10 version is about half the weight of my current Manfrotto geared head. I have no real heads that were rated to work with my 14x17 and 16x20 cameras, the 16x20, 20x24 version should do the job well. Whjch at a future date I should be able to use on my wetplate Northern Canada project.

Hope I am made the right decision on these. I got about a $90 USD discount by buying both at the the same time. The heads come with free shipping. One of the main reasons I bought these was so that I could use the 8x10 head in Asia next trip. It is lighter than what I currently own, and lighter is VERY GOOD when your 53 years old and carrying around a 8x10 camera in extreme conditions (a humid garbage dump and 34C weather!). I hope to use the larger head on my14x17 and 16x20 cameras for my later in life wet plate photography project of Northern Canada.

I will update you all on how the heads work for me later on.