Monday, February 5, 2018

Cheated On This Mother - Child Picture

from Facebook...

First the disclaimer, there is some funny cloning business done by me under the tent structure by me. The light produced extremely difficult burnt out highlights, I had to have a 1 and 2 second exposures to the subject to try and bring her out as she was in darkness.  I will not print this picture if I cannot handle it in a legit way but I thought for now I wanted to show it. Hopefully later when I learn photo shop better I can handle the extreme highlights and not have to messily clone to bring them down somewhat...

Here is a description I wrote to a new online friend about this image...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just wanted to send you this picture. A Burmese mother and child in the dump, made last night, just edited it. I think the people here are rather amazing they have a peace that is remarkable considering the world they live in. It is all connected to family. It got me thinking about how destructive to families the suicides in first nations culture must be. It must just destroy everything hoped for and promised. I am not a parent so it is a bit hard for me to understand, but losing a child must be the most painful sort of pain possible. This woman last night spoke to me as I was about to leave, she was sitting in almost complete darkness on the old sofa. I stopped and made several photos. I thought how peaceful she was. Did not really understand it. Today when editing I realized she was with her child (under the nearby roof, lit area)...that is what made her who she was, being a mother...I missed that when I shot it, only an accident the child is actually in the photograph. The importance and power of family can overcome most anything. Anyway, just wanted to share that....sorry for going on and on, tend to do that sometimes, even with relative strangers 🙂 Gerry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mother sitting in the dark with her child