Monday, February 26, 2018

A Leg Hug

I was on a hill of garbage photographing the new very poor family group again when I heard MING GAH LAH BAH from out of the darkness below, I replied MING GAH LAH BAH back (hello). Then quick and sudden out of the black night came a large strong hand and arm. The Win family father gave my left leg a big bear hug before laughing loudly and walking off still smiling. Mr. Win has hugged me 3 times that I can think of, he likes to hug which I rarely see elsewhere here (public signs of affection are very rare).

Mr. Win is the hardest working man in the dump, his entire family works extremely hard. In the 5 years I have been photographing here there has rarely if ever been a day when I have not seen him working the garbage along with this extended family. Through the years we have all become friends. Here are some older later 2015, early 2016 b/w film photos of him and his family..

Note* I have all the names of the children in my notes, need to remember them. Burmese have such  complicated, long names. I usually call the other people, uncle or aunt, mother or father, and the younger ones son and daughter.

Mr. Win
Mr. Wins oldest daughter
Mr. Wins Youngest Daughter
Oldest daughter
Middle daughter
Youngest son
Oldest son