Saturday, February 24, 2018

Calling Out "Gerry Da Bong"

Kind of weird but GERRY has become such a known quantity here in the dump that I am starting to refer to myself in the 3rd person with the families. Am sort of a watered down Elvis or Sinatra type thingy :))) For example I as I was walking down to the homes a woman walking the other direction said hi Gerry, then she told me where her house was. As I walked down into that area alone, in the dark some people looked out into the darkness from their homes and were concerned. "Who is that big guy?" I said to them...GERRY NAH DA BONG (its Gerry taking photos) then they replied, "Oh Gerry!" then, a laugh, a repeat of GERRY and some Burmese to another person in the home and I would make my pictures.

Did that same thing many times tonight and in recent days...GERRY NA...DA BONG or GERRY....and then the other person would recognize me, laugh and relax. Tonight I even got invited in for a coffee at one home. Other people asked for headlamps, was shown a sick baby by a single mother who lives alone with no men around, only her, her mother and a little baby boy. Another home (the coffee giving people) had a woman and 4 men living in the home,  mother 2 boys, a husband and her father. I tried to get names, ages, shot some videos to remember things. Most people in most houses I knew or knew me.

Not a lot of strangers left in the dump for me these days. The families in a way have become a single family.