Wednesday, March 9, 2022

The Mae Sot Dump Has Changed

Am back at the dump with the families. Things are very different here. One of my Thai friends Pee Noy has passed away. The dump is also quite different, they have more Thais/Security and a energy plant of some kind being built. Not sure whats what just yet, not sure if I can gain access again.  There are still Burmese people here, but they seem be isolated on the far side of the dump. Probably less families here. The school is also gated off. There is also a long tall fence in the area of the dump I used to gain access with two security gates/guards. 

I might have to end the dump work (photography and donation) and move on to another project here (also dealing with Burmese refugees I hope). I will see how things pan out tomorrow!

Note* I keep thinking of my friend Pee Noy who has passed away. He was so full of life when I was here in 2019 but died in 2020. He did not know what was coming only a short time later. 68 is too young to die. Life and opportunity can be so short. Need to make the most of the time left to me. 

Note** I worry about Pee Noy's widow, she has a small store but had to give away her car (could not afford the payments), could not keep her motorbike (the one I rented before) or the old truck they owned. Here life has collapsed.