Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Learning Burmese

Making an attempt to learn some Burmese. Sat down with 2 groups of people and asked how to say things like chicken, house, wai, foot, rice etc. Some of the people here speak some Thai, a few some English but Burmese is the common language spoken by everyone. I need to learn more. The trouble is I can learn Burmese here everyday but when I leave I have no access to teachers.
 
I think I might have a Burmese vocabulary of about 25 words, and can say things like " What is your name" "How old are you" and "I am learning to speak the Burmese language" (that one always draws a laugh or at least a smile). Speaking Burmese would help in so many ways, even rudimentary Burmese would be great. I need to learn 500 words or so, and go from there. At 57 thou, learning this stuff sort of hurts my head! 🙂