Thursday, March 10, 2022

Back At The Dump With The Families

So at about 350pm when the sun was a bit lower I ventured out on my new, used, old, small motorbike from the hotel. I carried some mama noodles and chips, some dolls and toy cars in my camera bag along with the X1D Blad camera and 2 lens. I also had 3 high energy drinks (red bull type) to hand out to the yaum (security). Would I make into the dump? I was not sure.

 
When I arrived I spoke to some of the security and handed out some of the caffeine drink stuff which most Thais love. I then made my way into the garbage dump. The dump is much different now, all fenced off with a large energy plant of some kind being built at one end. When I got deep into the garbage my bike stalled and I could not start it. My phone battery was also dead. Hmm interesting, what to do? At first I pushed the bike through the garbage but eventually after about 10 tries I got the bike started again. There were no Burmese in the garbage but in the oldest area of the dump there were still multiple small and large shacks, 25-30. I headed down another road and reccognizing where I was found the entrance to the housing area which is now fenced off from the dump with a near by security perched along the fence (there are 4 guards with guardhouses in various places around the dump now).
 
On arriving at the Burmese house areas, I parked my bike, took off my helmet, put on a hat and lowered my mask so people could see my face (not many people there were masked). I walked up to the first set of houses and there was a man sitting on a bench near a fence, He looked at me for a second then smiled and shouted out 'GERRY!" then another lady from the other side of the road did the same, another 'GERRY!" It was rather remarkable they remembered me as I had not been in the dump for almost 3 years because of Covid. Later on 2 others called out my name including a young boy of 10 or 11. Most young people do not remember me as young people memories are different, he did thou. 
 
The rest of the day went well. To the children I handed out some stuffed toys, some toy cars, mama noodles, some potato chips. I took a few photos with the Blad, and said hello to a couple of dozen people. It was a nice day. I photographed a game of Rah-Goh, which is like a version of volleyball but played with the feet and head, no hands allowed.
 
You can see the fence through the trees that prevents the people from working the garage Not sure where they make their money now. This area of the dump has been in lived in since my first trips in 2013, probably much longer.

The boy on the left got a donated car from a friend in Canada (co worker) the children on the right got chips and mama noodles as a treat. The children are so wonderful. I will post a SWARMING ME video later on, they love the digital camera.