Monday, March 14, 2022

The Families Saved Me

I was down when I woke up today, missing Canada and my life there. I was wondering if I should ever return to Mae Sot. Felt tired, tailbone still hurts from the fall, felt like an outsider. Which is strange for me in Thailand. Usually I feel connected here, feel more Thai than farang (white westerner). Then I went out to the dump to donate and to make photos and that all changed!

I arrived at the dump around 345pm (too hot ealier!), handed out 4 bags of food, muscle balm, antiseptic liquid, mama noodles, head lamps, lollipops and ships. Started to take photos. Was accepted by the people, by the families. Photographed in front of many homes, photographed children playing a Burmese version of dodgeball. Life was joyful, I felt much better. The children were laughing and smiling, following me around, wanting to play games. I handed out maybe 30 or so lollipops and chips and mama noodles , plus a small toy.
 
Everywhere I went I heard “Gerry, probably more than 40 times today. An old lady who walked by looked at me waied (placing the hands together as if praying, a sign of respect) me and said “Gerry” I have no idea who she was. We probably met on an earlier trip. That has never happened before to me here. Getting a wai is semi common but a wai with the name from an older person is a first for me, I was surprised. I waied her back and called her aunt later on. She seemed tough and to the point, a very practical lady. Even the Wai and my name call out was done in such a mater of fact way, she did it without breaking stride.
It was a good day filled with such little positive moments.
 
Later when my motorbike died I met the lovely Thai couple who invited me to dinner. It nice end to my time at the dump. I feel so much better now, the families saved me, they helped me feel connected here, just like I am in Canada.

Note* Made more of an effort to learn Burmese today. The families are teaching me. I find. Burmese harder to learn and speak than Thai.