Thursday, March 10, 2022

Making Merrit At My Hotel In Mae Sot

I had very nice Thai Buddhist experience today. The hotel I am staying at in Mae Sot, reopened after a 2 year Covid closure. Today as part of the reopening the owners brought in 9 monks to "Taum Boom" (make merit and bring good luck). The monks preformed a ceremony then food was first offered to them and then to everyone else. The owner very kindly invited me to the event.

After they ate one of the monks came over and gave me a RED BANANA (he said I had probably never seen one). A very nice thing for him to do. I was the only farang (Westerne)r present, everyone else was Thai. There was lots of food and everyone was kind and friendly. Got to love Thailand!
 
The monks from this sect of Buddhism only eat 1 time a day.
 
Lots of food for everyone, my food is in the foreground.