Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Running And Jumping Over The Garbage To Reach Me!

I have taken to sneaking into the dump on the sly. I park in a quiet area near the dump swamp homes and walk in without a flash light. Today I made it all the way into a an area above most people and started to take dumpscapes before I was noticed, then the attack started.

One man about 28 years old who has almost nothing (sleeps on the garbage with his wife and daughter) ran full speed towards me. As he got close he leaped over several large plastic garbage bags just in front of my camera position. He then asked (in Thai) for the boots I had promised his daughter. I told him I had already put them into his home (lean too shack on top of garbage which was behind me0.

7 or 8, maybe 10 other people followed quickly, then another group of 5 or 6 and another group after that. There were also numerous children around. Lots of folks were calling out my name. The boots I had carried in and the headlamps, the mama noodles, and the lollipops were all gone fast (I did manage to keep 4 or 5 lollies to hand out later.

I try to distribute everything fairly, one to a customer. I try to prevent running and jumping, but it is difficult. When there are 8 kids in front of you and 16 hands reaching up, you want to give everyone their little treat. With the adults you want to treat them with kindness but also respect. Identifying people can also be hard, especially in the dark when they have headlamps flashing in your eyes.

Doing my best, not sure it is good enough, sometimes people get frustrated if they get nothing and others get 2 headlamps, boots etc.