Thursday, February 1, 2018

I Hate, Hate Being King

Over the last while when I arrive in the dump people charge over to meet me. There was even the gonging of a can one time on my arrival a few days back. Am not sure if that was the GERRY signal or not. I try to give to different people each time, but it is hard to remember who got what, and when people start returning broken headlamps , looking for replacements, it gets even more confusing.

Tonight I was surrounded by probably 15 faces asking me for headlamps and boots. I sort of snuck into the main dark picking area without my motorbike, and people still found me fast. I handed out the boots and the headlamps to those that I felt were in most need (wearing boots with holes, had no lights on their heads etc) but it it is a tough thing to play KING, and decide who gets what and how much. I hate doing that, I hate that feeling of all those eyes looking at me and saying no to them. I like the giving, love it, it is addictive, but hate the not giving, and making that choice of who gets nothing. It is a terrible feeling. I would be a lousy king.