Friday, July 10, 2015

Wonderful New Book

Received a wonderfully printed book of Josef Koudelka's work today from Amazon. The book is called Exiles and contains many strong photographs some that I have never seen before.
"Exiles" By Josef Koudelka


I love the books design, just the image on the right side of the page with a small page number and blank white page on the left. They also allow for white space around the image so it is like a print in over mat on a gallery wall. There are no titles with the photos which allow you to look at each picture and judge it on its own merit, as an individual piece, without written distractions. They also have a page in the front of the book titles "Captions" that has the page numbers along with a simple location and date for each photograph.

For my next blurb book design I will use this design. I think if I ever get a real book published I will also follow this simple and effective scheme. 

Here are 2 sample page layouts from the book.