Sunday, July 19, 2015

Cutting Weight

Been trying to figure out ways to stream line my 5x7 kit. If I get rid of the camera's protective back cover and use the the acrylic ground glass which should not break without the heavy cover protecting it (dust problem?). Getting rid of the cover will drop weight. Using the plastic lens board instead of the better made metal one will also cut weight. Going from 13 holders to 10 and being more selective in my days shooting will also cut weight. A smaller lighter tripod? Not sure I want to go there the Gitzo carbon fibre with geared centre pose is oh oh so nice to use.

As to my other gear I am thinking of going with only 1 Leica 35mm Rangefinder and ditching the 2nd Leica rangefinder and the Leica R6 SLR with heavy 60mm lens.

My overall camera selection kit might only be:

- 5x7 kit (reduced size)
- 1 Leica range finder with one lens (28mm f2?)
- 1 Rolleiflex 80mm F camera with close up lens
- Small Canon demi 1/2 frame

Update: I made a deal with the eBay acrylic focusing screen seller. $65 USD for a 5x7 grid acrylic focusing screen with free shipping to Canada. I hope its worth it! If it works no more worries about broken ground glass after bumpy plane and bus rides. I should also be able to dump the heavy metal plate protector on the camera.