Sunday, July 12, 2015

Stolen!!

So trying to continue my theme of working towards being in better shape for my coming photo trip, I went biking today. I cycled down to the Chinatown area of Edmonton, locked up my bike went inside for some dim sum. The meal did not take long, about 1 hour later I came out and my bike was GONE! It had been STOLEN!

This sucks big time, Chinatown is a dicey area of town now, lots of transients on the streets etc. I reported the theft to a nearby police station and will try to get some insurance money back for it if it is not recovered. The bike is over 10 years old probably closer to 20 and had issues with the gears, pedal etc. I now have an excuse to buy a new bike. Still I wish I had not lost it, I loved that old bike, and this year I rode over 500kms on it. I believe I paid around $1500 CAD for it when I bought it so it was a expensive bicycle at the time. I will probably cost $2500 or more to replace.

Looks like my biking is going to be curtailed for  the next while. I will have to go shopping for a new bike my next week off, might have to do some swimming in the mean time. This sucks! Whenever you get stuff stolen you sort of feel violated, I feel that way now. I had planned to go cycling tomorrow morning before work, can't do that now. In the coming months I wanted to double down and work harder on my physical fitness, this theft will slow down that process.

Update: Feeling down and depressed about this, all I wanted to do was exercise, work hard now to make better pictures later. As a reward for that effort I am going to have to pay a bunch of dollars to buy a new bike.