Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Back And In Stereo!

A couple of days ago I got a 3D pop up style book on Leonardo da Vinci it reawakened my interest in stereo photography. In the book you can see many of Leonardo's drawing and paintings in 3D, very beautiful. I decided to try doing up some of my own photos, landscapes and portraits then making up small b/w stereo pics of the same size as the book, clipping them onto the book pages and seeing if I can make my own 3D photos.

Here is the first attempt at a 3D landscape. The pic was made at 1/125 (fastest shutter speed) and f11 on old discontinued Agfa 400 film at 200ASA. As you can see the pictures are shot at the same time but at a slightly different angle. I used my Russian Sputnik camera which I am beginning to love. When viewed through special lens these photos should create a 3D b/w image. I will try it later with transparency film, I have a deep freeze with maybe 100 rolls of old outdated Agfachrome to use up.

Update* Did a simple ink jet print out of the image below and then placed it front of my Leonardo book lens, it seems to work. I had to cut out the middle section of black between the negs then move the two images closer together. After I made the adjustments I seemed to get a 3D image thou it is not as pronounced as the images in the book. I will continue to experiment with this type of photography, printing the negs on RC paper might give some added clarity and help the 3D effect. This should open up fun creative possibilities. I can see a time in my future where my exhibitions also include 3D stereograph photos.
Backyard #1, July 2015