Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Whew!!! It Worked

Today I went all out old style photography using a bunch of used equipment for the first time. I was not sure if all this gear would work but it all game through. You got to love the old days where they made everything with such quality. Today

- I used my old brass lens for the first time and guessed at its one aperture being f5.6.
- I used my bag mag for the first time with 12 sheets of HPF.
- I used my Yankee tank for the first time, guessing at the development time (usually I use a Jobo machine with constant agitation. Today was the first time in my life I have ever developed 4x5 sheet film in a tank. It worked very well thou uses up a fair amount of chemistry (use the 1800ml developer chemistry 2-3 times?). I need to get better at loading the 4x5 sheet film holder-reel, I was only able to get 10 sheets into the 12 sheet tank.

Everything performed flawlessly. I guess thats a a combination of old school craftminship, 37 years of photography experience on my part, and a bit of luck. The negs look good, they have a softish shallow depth of field from the old lens. I will scan them and post them next.

The development was D-76 2/1 for 10 minutes at 20C. I agitated for the first 30 seconds and ever 30 seconds after that for 5 seconds. Agitation consisted of moving the tank left and right, left and right as indicated by the agitation arrows on the top cover. You cannot invert the tank or the chemistry will flow out, so I guess thats the only way to do agitation. It seems to have worked with a nice even development. The lens do not look overly contrasty, they should print well.

Anyway am glad the bag mag does not leak light, that the Yankee tank is solid, and that the brass lens looks so cool. I could see buying and experimenting with more of these ancient lens in the future, they are a joy to use.