Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Beauty Of Family Groups

I keep thinking today about two great photographs of family groups, one by Paul Strand and one by Walker Evans. I need to try and do some family group portrait shots when I return to Asia. I think it is important to make photographs that speak to the need, importance and strength of the family in traditional Asian cultures.

Below are the two all time great family group photos mentioned along with my attempt at a family shot from 2013. I need to get family names for this part of the project, not sure that works with Burmese folks thou as their naming systems are a bit different. Hopefully I can do at least 10 of these group style portraits with the 5x7 next trip. I think I will take 2 lens with me, the 120mm and the 210mm along with extra 5x7 film. The 5x7 has to be my main camera next trip. The success or failure of the trip will correspond with how many good 5x7 negs I get.

The Lusetti Family, Luzzana Italy 1953 By Paul Strand
Bud Fields With His Family , August 1936 By Walker Evans
Karen Family In Mae Sot Dump, 2013