Monday, July 20, 2015

More Gear Thoughts

My trip is still over 3 months away but I am finalizing my thoughts on what I should take and more importantly what I should not take. I have 7 weeks in Thailand and I want to use that time as productively as I can. It is important I do not load my self down with so much stuff that it inhibits my ability to make effective photographs. I want to be quick and mobile in my movements.

For gear I will take the following:

1) 5x7 camera kit
   - 5x7 Linhof with plastic lens board and focusing screen (ground glass)
   - Pentax spotmeter
   - Small reflector
   - 10 5x7 film holders
   - Loupe, notebook, pens, 2 cable releases
   - Nikon 120mm f8 lens
   - Backpack to lug around the gear
   - Gitzo carbon fibre tripod with geared centre post and Manfrotto quick release head.
   - Bag style dark cloth
   - 300 sheets of 5x7 Tri-x (6 boxes of 50 sheets a piece)

2) 35mm camera kit
    - 1 Leica M6
    - 28mm f2 lens (or 35mm f1.4)
    - 60 rolls of 35mm Tri-x

3) Rolleiflex kit
    - Newly upgraded Rolleiflex F
    -  Close up lens set
    - 70 rolls of 120mm Tri-x
    - Small portable flash

4) Canon Demi EE 17 1/2 frame camera

5) Small digital point and shoot camera for online vids and to make free pictures for my subjects as well as identification photographs.

6) Old beat up Domke bag for the Rollie, Leica and Canon. The original Domke bags seem stronger than the Chinese copycats. Using a old beat up bag is always a good thing, it looks like there is nothing of true value inside, not Leicas/Rolleiflex's etc.

7) Harrison film changing tent (probably the smaller 4x5 version).

My main 2 cameras will be the Linhof 5x7 and the Rolleiflex. The Leica and the Canon 1/2 frame camera's are secondary units.

If I only take this gear plus a few other things like this laptop for writing the blog and a few clothes, things should be easier to handle. Less gear, less baggage is definitely the way to go. I feel this coming trip is going to lead to some strong work.