Friday, July 31, 2015

Different View Camera For Refugee Camp?

After reading the email from my contact detailing how difficult it will be to get my 5x7 Linhof and large tripod into the camp (too professional looking). I have been weighing some other camera options that might allow me to do large format portraits without being too obvious.

Since I buy and own every camera ever made I have 2 options that might work.

1) The Banarama Razzle Polaroid conversion camera made by Dean Jones with 135mm f5.6 lens.
2) The Graflex Super RB with Kodak 190mm lens f 5.6 lens.

Both these cameras are quite a bit smaller, and less conspicuous (especially the Razzle) than a large expensive looking Linhof on a tripod. With these tools I might be able to shoot hand held portraits at f5.6 or f8 onto 4x5 film. This would of course mean more film to carry, and another camera to lug all the way to Asia. This time if I do take the Razzle, it will come in my carry on bag, not my check in to avoid theft. 

I have not shot many portraits with these cameras at wide open apertures handheld in available light, maybe something I should work on in the next bit. The other much easier options would be just to shoot 35mm and 120 film and not try large format at Mae La.