Sunday, December 10, 2017

W. Eugene Smith Exhibiton At The Tokyo Photographic Art Museum

Saw a retrospective on my idol the great photographer W.. Eugene Smith. They had all his great photographs, I counted 22 images that I loved. The only image missing because of legal reasons and in my opinion the greatest picture ever made, Tomoko Uemura in her bath. Gosh I wish I could see this picture, spend a few days viewing it.

https://gerryyaum.blogspot.com/2015/03/links-joseph-saxton-gallery.html

The only problem I had with the show, was that I felt the prints were beautiful but looked a bit muddy, a bit too greys and were printed on a matt paper (do not like matt surfaces much) I would have though Smith printed a more moody, higher contrast and larger prints on a glossy surfaced paper.

It was overall a beauty exhibiti9n. I spent a few hours going through Mr. Smiths life in photos. I cannot think of a better way to spend a day.

Here is the Gallery that exhibited the work

TOP-TOKYO PHOTOGRAPHIC ART MUSEUM

Note* I always dreamed of seeing the Tomoko in her bath photo in tea life, maybe some day I can.