Monday, December 25, 2017

Link: BANGKOK AT NIGHT - Where Is it Going?

After reviewing my BANGKOK AT NIGHT photo series tonight., I feel disappointed. There are several images I like. The sex worker, homeless men and begging pics work best I think. Most of the other stuff lacks focus and is a tad boring.

When the great photographer and my idol Eugene W. Smith took on the grand, epic project PITTSBURG, he was overwhelmed by it. He worked for 3 years, 1955-57 shooting 17000 images. Smith one of the greatest photographers in history failed with PITTSBURGH. I sure as hell ain’t no a Eugene Smith. BANGKOK AT NIGHT is doomed to fail, it is also too large to cover effectively, even if I spent a decade working on it. I think I need to focus on something smaller, SUKHUMVIT AT NIGHT (the road name) ? or focus on three homeless men, the freelance prostitution (workers with their clients)??. I need to simplify my project, simplifying will allow me to tell a story with a broader truth. Right now the work I am creating is floundering and lacks focus.

Note to self* You need to think this over carefully when in Vietnam Gerry. What story do you want to tell most? Which people do you connect with best? WHOSE VOICE MUST BE HEARD??

UPDATE* Possible title STREET WALKERS (?).
An Article On Smith’s Doomed Pittsburg Project