Friday, December 22, 2017

Gave Khun Lek His Blanket

Last night I tracked down Khun (Mr.) Lek the Bangkok homeless man from a few days ago. He was sleeping on a bus stop bench with no blanket. Earlier, several days ago he had asked me for a blanket. It is quite cold now in Thailand, especially for those that sleep on the streets, people here are not used to the colder weather and can die from it. Poor Lek looked so cold when I found him, all shrivelled up in his dirty clothes with no shoes laying squished up on that small bench so he could keep off the cold pavement.

I bought a blanket for him at a nearby shortime type sex bar as it was after hours, around 1130pm and all the regular shops-stores were closed. The women who worked the bar were very sympathetic and helpful, they told me they could sell me one for 200 baht. Luckily I was able to explain my problem to them in Thai. I asked if the blanket was new-clean, they assured me it was. One of the older bar ladies then rushed into the building to help, quickly finding the blanket and putting it in a clear plastic bag for me. I paid for it, it was quite nice, fluffy and warm, looked newish, then took it out to Lek who was several blocks (around 10) away and placed it over his sleeping body. He woke up when I did this, waied me (placing his hands together near his face) and said thank you. Khun Lek then asked for some money for food. I gave him 100 baht, I hope he uses at least some of it to eat. He looked sickly and weak, not as energetic as he was during our first meeting.

Will post some photos later on when I have access to a computer with a SD card reader.

Update* The night after I gave Lek his blanket I found him sleeping again without it on the same bus bench. Not sure if it was in his backpack bag, if it was stolen, or if he sold it. I did my best there, hopefully he still has it for when he needs it.