Monday, December 18, 2017

Searched By Thai Police

I had a freaky and a bit of a scary experience tonight. On the way to Sukhumvit road tonight after dark my Taxi was stopped at a police check stop. A police man came over with a big flashlight shined it into the back of the car, saw me then asked the driver to pull over to the side of the road. Another cop then shined a second light from the other side of the now parked car and was told to get out. I got out and the policeman asked me (in Thai) if I could speak Thai. I told him I could a bit and he seemed surprised. He then asked me to empty my pockets and searched what I brought out quite thoroughly. After wards when I spoke to the Taxi driver he told me they were searching for drugs.

This was a bit of a scary experience, about 10 cops watching me on a dark deserted area of road.. When I told one of the police in a joking manner this was all a bit scary, one of the policemen standing behind him told me not to worry. In all my years in Thailand dating back to 1996 this was only the second time I have been searched by police. The other time was way back in 2003 on a island where they do full moon parties (lots of drug use there). I wonder if the current military government is cracking down on things? I have heard that might be the case. Anyway speaking Thai certainly helped tonight. I was able to explain everything that was found in my pockets, was able to communicate with the police about my hotel etc. Tonight the policeman patted down and put his hands in all my pockets.  He checked my cough Andy bag two times He also looked in my camera bag a bit but did not search that much.

The whole stop and  search took 5 or 6 minutes. Hope this is my last late night search for a while. I never do drugs, never even been drunk in my life, today being clean helped me. Imagine what could have been if I was carrying drugs on me, YOU DO NOT WANT TO DRUGS IN THAILAND!! Certain drug offences have a death sentence in this country. Tonight was a unique experience I am NOT looking to repeat.